A good night’s sleep is a period of profound rest that is essential for your physical and emotional well-being. Time spent sleeping is often the best way to recover from illness or cope with stress. When sleeping, your body will repair and regenerate itself, and your mind can resolve outstanding problems through dreams.
What is Sleep?
Sleep is a naturally occurring state of unconsciousness, when the electrical activity of the brain is more rhythmical than when awake and reacts less to outside stimuli. There are two basic sleep states: deep sleep, known as non-REM (NREM) sleep, when the body repairs itself, interrupted by episodes of Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep, when most dreaming takes place. Establishing a calming routine that helps you wind down and relax before bedtime will go a long way in helping you to get a good night’s sleep.
How Much Sleep?
The amount of sleep necessary to be fully rested varies for each individual, and it decreases with age. Most adults get by on seven to eight hours sleep, though some sleep experts claim we need more. The elderly can function on five or six hours a night.
Sleep is one of the first things to suffer when you are stressed, and too little sleep will make you tired and irritable. A lack of sleep is itself a stress factor, and it is all too easy to become locked into a cycle of sleeplessness that is difficult to break. There are many different kinds of sleeplessness, including not being able to go to sleep, frequent waking, and waking too early in the morning.
- Don’t go to bed hungry, but avoid large meals before bedtime.
- Bananas and milky drinks are calming foods and ideal for eating before you go to sleep.
- Caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine all disturb sleep. Drink a cup of warm herbal tea before bedtime-chamomile is particularly effective. We highly recommend, Herbal Tea for Kidney Health- Filled with diuretic herbs that will keep things filtering by promoting waste elimination, flush the entire kidney tract, reduces the buildup of toxins and just generally increases urine output. You can drink herbal tea made for sleep, in our herbal tea for sleep ingredients include: Ingredients: Catnip Leaf, Chamomile Flower, Hop Flower, Lavender Flower, Lemon Balm Leaf, Passionflower, Skullcap, Valerian. Another great herbal tea for sleep is Get Sleepy Tea containing herbs of Camomile, Lavender, Licorice, Lemon Balm, and Rose Hips.
- Exercise during the day will remove stress hormones from your body but avoid any form of exercise at least three hours before bedtime.
Establishing a Routine
- Stop work at least an hour before bedtime to calm mental activity.
- A warm bath before bedtime will relax your muscles and soothe your body. Fun natural products to add to your bath to enhance your muscle relaxation are bath bombs, bath salts, essential oils, light candles around your bathroom then dim the lights to create a more tranquil environment, use aromatherapy such as sage, palo santo or a aromatherapy diffuser.
This featured beautiful heart shaped rose bath bomb above is organic and topped with organic rose petals. The rose petals will float on top of the water in your bath. Enjoy a royal luxury experience in your bath with this amazing bath bomb. Ingredients: non-gmo citric acid, sodium bicarbonate, Rose petals *, jojoba oil, witch hazel extract*, Rose absolute. Happy Being Well is happy to provide this amazing bath bomb. You can grab yours here.
Experience luxury while bathing in our all natural bath salts. This featured bath salt above is used to soothe aches and pains. This bath salt is special because it also includes essential oils to cleanse and uplift. It also has real rose petals and lavender flowers for a luxurious bath experience. Bathing in Dead Sea Salts encourages dermal absorption of minerals and stimulates blood circulation. Natural plant essential oils provide a safe, subtle fragrance without chemical enhancers. We are happy to provide this amazing bath salt to being happiness to your bath. You can get yours here.
Ingredients of the featured bath salt above are: Epsom Salt, Himalayan Pink Salt, Eucalyptus Essential Oil, Peppermint Essential Oil, Lavender Essential Oil, Rose Petals, Lavender Flowers
- Go to bed at the same time each night and get up at a regular time. You can also try a natural spray mouth mist called, Slumber Oral Spray. It contains Melatonin, GABA, L-Tryptophan, L-Theanine, Valerian Root, Ashwaghanda Root, and Chamomile - seven potent, all natural ingredients to help you get a great night sleep. Check out the raving reviews of customers who use it to help them sleep by clicking the link above that says, “Slumber Oral Spray”. We also carry a essential oil blend of oils that help you sleep in one roll on bottle called, Deep Sleep. Since aromatherapy therapy is a powerful way to soothe our mind, check out our essential oil blend of sleep oils to put into your aromatherapy diffuser called, Lullaby. For those who want smooth and youthful looking skin, check out our natural body butter with essential oils used to help you sleep. Our natural body butter for sleep is the most amazing natural body butter you will ever try. It feels light and fluffy like whipped cream and just a small amount is enough for almost your entire body.
Check out our Lavender Sleep Stick. It is convenient to carry around with you when traveling to simply roll on your forehead, temples, back of your neck, behind your ears, and wrists before you go to bed. Ingredients of our Lavender Sleep Stick are coconut oil, shea butter, Candelilla wax and essential oil of lavender.
- Your bedroom needs to be a place for sleeping rather than an extension of your office or living room, keep it quiet and warm.
- If you really cannot sleep, get up and go into another room and read a book, you can download for free, a best-selling book called, wellness for winners here. You can listen to a guided meditation on the Happy Being Well podcast here.
The Importance of Dreams
We all have dreams, although we may not remember them when we wake up. Dreaming is thought to act as a psychological safety valve, allowing us to work through problems, emotions, and anxieties so we can start afresh each day.
If this blog article has helped you in any way, share it with your friends, family, co-workers and social media followers. Live happy being well. Subscribe to our email newsletter on our home page to get 10% off your first item. Free shipping within the USA on all items.